The result of a flash flood outside The Catherine Wheel c. 1963/4
The Somerset cricketer, Vic Marks pulling a pint after opening the renovated Catherine Wheel in 1983. On the left are Jane and Keith Root, the licensees at that time.
The remains of The Star after a fire destroyed it in 1928.
The Star and Railway Inns in the early 1920s.
A view of The Star Inn, 1908. On The left is Mrs. Hawkins, grandmother to Mrs. Evelyn Pike. Mrs. Hawkins cooked lunches in The Star, she is talking to a Mrs. Quick. In the background are Mr. Luxton the ostler and Mr. Denning who brought the Royal Mail from Cullompton to Hemyock. The gentleman with the broad brimmed hat was the Vicar of Dunkeswell Abbey Church.
An early post card view of the square in Hemyock. In the foreground is the Hemyock Pump erected in 1902. On the left the Star Inn burnt down in 1928.
A Christmas card from Hemyock, pre 1900 because the old village pump is in the Square and the old school / Parish house is still on the corner of the Churchyard where the War Memorial now stands. The two pubs can be seen on the left.
These two photos were taken at Uffculme School in 1912. The bottom left of the chalk boards being held, have the numbers 1 and 2 – the class numbers? The bottom right, it appears to be ‘BYO’ or ‘B70′.
The teacher on the left, in the following picture is Mrs Whittle. The teacher on the right is Miss Quant – later to become Mrs Leatt. Mr Leatt was the landlord of the Commercial Inn.
The Hemyock History Group meet on the second Thursday of the month with speakers talking about interesting historical subjects.
The meetings start at 19:30 in the church rooms. For more information please send us an email on the Contact Us tab.